Standup paddle boarding is now the new hobby for adventure sports freaks. Kayaking and canoeing are great, but for those who would like to enjoy the scenery even as they surf, this sport is ideal. No wonder SUP is all set to take the US adventure sport arena by storm. There are several benefits of taking up the sport. Some of these include:
• An easy way to burn calories: stand up paddleboard This is a great way to burn calories. Although results vary according to the terrain chosen, on an average, a person engaged in recreational paddling can burn up to 225 calories. Women can expect to burn around 500-700 calories in an hour, while men can expect anywhere from 700-1000 calories per hour. It is known to strengthen the abs, legs, and muscles in the back of the shoulder. In fact, you can even do yoga on a paddleboard. Complex yoga poses can be done on the paddleboard with a little practice.
• Helps you focus: The best thing about SUP is that it requires focus and concentration. When paddle boarding, you’ve got to block everything to achieve that balance and rhythm.
• A great way to explore the place around you: Unlike other water sports activity, you do not need waves and can paddle board on flat waters. Besides the ocean, people often board on rivers, lakes, bays and mangrove forests to enjoy the flora and fauna around you. In fact paddle boarding is a popular tourist activity in major tourist hotspots. Popular tourist places like the Kilda Beach, the Yarra River, the Sorrento Beach, and the beaches of Hawaii are known to be popular for boarding. Sea creatures and other marine life can be navigated easily with a board. Even shallow areas can be navigated with a paddle board.
• It’s Fun! What better way to relax and unwind than with a paddle board.
• Easy to learn: Learning to paddleboard is easy. All that you’ve got to do is to ensure that you have the basic equipments in place. Your board, paddle, proper gear, and some sun protection. You can start of by using the windsurfing board, but this won’t perform well. There are plenty of websites that can help you get started. The sport may be taxing, but certainly not technically challenging. Thus everyone can do it, and see the benefits.
They are also very sturdy, and can tolerate knocks that would ding regular fibreglass boards. Some surfing purists would rather use conventional fibreglass, nevertheless, if you want a lightweight, strong paddle board at a good price point, you cannot go wrong with EPS.
The board also has three wooden stringers, moulded right into the deck. Stringers are widely used to further reinforce a stand up paddle board. The board has a 100 percent waterproof core, and can hold a weight of up to 300lbs (136kgs) in the water.
The Keeper stand up paddle board is light-weight, and an excellent size for learning. It features a strong design, making use of both EPS and three wooden stringers. The paddle floats, and that is always an added bonus!
The package includes with an adjustable SUP Paddle (with exclusive Blade Shield), padded roof racks and surf leash. The padded roof racks are fine for local trips, but you may want to spend money on some good roof racks if you intend travelling further afield. At high speeds they are noisy, and as soon as it rains, the water can absorb through in to the inside of your car.
This board is not really intended for performance, but it doesn’t mean it can’t catch good waves (if you are inclined to go paddle boarding at the beach). It could be regarded as an “all-rounder”, meaning it is great for casual paddle boarding on the nearby lake, but additionally has enough juice to catch small waves at the beach (although, I wouldn’t suggest trying this on any point break if you are a novice – stick to small beach breaks with this one).
Keeper Sports Products are a company located in Oceanside, California. Their mission, in their own words, is to “bring innovative competitively priced and value enhanced product to the sporting goods industry – and have fun while doing it”. The “California Board Company” range of boards appears on many top-sale websites, and overall reviews seem very positive.