Everyone can enjoy a good action packed drama that pulls at your heartstrings and occasionally takes some pretty far-fetched plot turns. Focusing on themes like love, betrayal, desire, and danger, night time television dramas differ from daytime soap operas only in that their plots are a tad bit more believable and the acting quality is bumped up quite a few notches. A successful TV drama captures the audience and drags them into their fictitious world of uncertainty, leaving them begging for more at the conclusion of each episode. While many shows strive for this level of control, only a few series have the truly infectious power of a well-executed drama.
- The top recommendation on this list is “Law and Order”. The beauty of this show is that viewers can now choose what flavor they like best, whether it be the original “Law and Order”, “Law and Order: Special Victims’ Unit”, or “Law and Order: Criminal Intent”. The original is a veteran of the drama series world having started in 1990 and outlived many of its competitors in the years since. While the casts of each version have changed a bit over time, the creators have perfected the art of creating suspense, shock, and satisfaction all within the confines of less than an hour. All of these reasons make “Law and Order” a must see among the list of drama series to watch for on satellite TV.
- The second best drama series on air today is “House”. The eccentric, antisocial, drug abusing Dr. House serves as one of the most interesting and entertaining characters on television at the present moment, though at times he can teeter over into being downright repugnant. The mysterious ailments that befall his patients and the means he and his team take in order to discover a cure are unorthodox to say the least, but that is where the show’s appeal stems from. A pill popping, limping, caustic doctor treating people who are inexplicably bleeding from their eyes is a recipe for a successful and interesting drama.
- The third exciting drama on the list is “Heroes”. The show takes an interesting and more mature approach to the classic storyline of super heroes and the epic battle between good and evil. Instead of donning masks, capes, and spandex uniforms, the show adopts a perspective focusing more on the humanity of the heroes. The drama also sheds light on the drawbacks of having super powers and the apparent obligation to use them positively, even if the abilities were acquired unintentionally. While unique and fresh in its portrayal of heroes, the show maintains the necessary action and thrill in high definition that the presence of super powers and conflicts inherently brings.
- The fourth best drama to catch on satellite television is “CSI: Las Vegas”. In the fashion of “Law and Order”, the popularity of the original show has resulted in its duplication in “CSI: New York” and “CSI: Miami”. Moving away from the usual attention directed toward the police and attorneys in crime dramas, “CSI” brings the focus on to the crime scene investigators. Science takes center stage in the setting of a seriously high-tech crime lab. The show incorporates all of the suspense and twists of a normal crime drama but adds a bit more gore as camera angles take viewers down the path of a bullet as it cuts through the layers of flesh on its way to being embedded in the victim’s heart, a rather nauseating journey when conveyed in HD.
- The fifth and final drama series that very much deserves a look is “24”. The question of how one man can accomplish so many things in only 24 hours without sleeping or eating needs to be chalked up to “artistic license” for viewers to truly lose themselves in the story and get caught up in the action. The storyline of each episode tends to be very topical since saving the United States from peril is repeatedly Jack Bauer’s objective along with combating government officials who try to make him conform or throw him in jail for any one of a multitude of reasons. The suspense and action of “24” makes it highly entertaining and deserves a second glance from channel surfers. With the power of these five shows combined, audiences everywhere will be blown away by the intense drama brought to them by their satellite TV.